UFOs Northwest Homepage
History of UFOs
Sighting Reports
Audio Clips
Close Encounters
Pilot Sightings
Report a Sighting
UFO Events
UFO Organizations
Important Links
About Us
Contact Us

Sighting Reports 2009

Family Sees 5 Silver Orbs in Early Evening Sky

Date of Sighting: May 31, 2009
Time of Sighting: 6 PM PDT
Location of Sighting: Port Angeles, Washington

Description: My family saw five silver orbs. We were at a family birthday party and everyone had left except my niece, great niece, her husband, their two toddlers and myself. So four adults witnessed this. My niece's husband saw it first. He and my great-niece were staring up at the sky and we saw them and jokingly asked if they were watching a UFO. They said they didn't know, but that it wasn't normal. He said they came in a straight line, fast from the west. My niece and I went over to where they were standing in the yard and saw 4 silver orbs not very high in the sky. The fifth one hadn't shown up yet. They moved into different positions and were too small to be any type of aircraft. We debated on if they might be weather balloons, but the movements didn't make sense compared to what a balloon type object would do. Two went further east less than a half mile away and stayed about equal distance from each other. The other two went straight up, much higher. (My nephew said he felt they were at least 10 miles up.) However, they were still visible and stayed approximately equal distance from each other too. Sometimes they would get closer together or one would drop lower or move farther away and then come back.

I was wondering if any more would show up when I saw, out of the corner of my eye, another one approaching from the west. It was also a silver orb and moving quite fast. There was little wind at the time. It went toward the orbs that were higher up and the highest one already there kept flashing. I don't know if it was a reflection or an actual light. It was actually at this point that it got stranger. The newest orb went high and at one point seemed to almost touch (it was hard to tell at that height) one of the others. I said that it looked like they were docking. My great-niece had run upstairs to get binoculars and her husband was trying to take a cell phone picture. The newest orb at one point joined the furthest away ones and they briefly formed a triangle. Unluckily, some wispy clouds rolled in, and it became harder to see all the orbs anymore. I could see some of them, but finally could only see one which was the highest one. This is the one that seemed to flash. We had looked through the binoculars, but they were high enough to be hard to make out clearly. Also it was quite sunny and it hurt our eyes using the binoculars. I looked at the highest one and got a brief impression that there was black on the under part of it, but it may have been the sun playing tricks.

We watched this for about 45 minutes to an hour I think. Until the clouds came in there was only a huge expanse of clear, blue sky. These orbs were very clear and I have never, in all my years of sky watching, seen anything like them. I have seen a lot of unexplained things at night, but never in the daytime.

Note: The witness clearly believes that she saw something unusual. I don't have an explanation. However, some types of commercial balloons (promotional balloons released by businesses) can look strange. I don't know if any businesses in the Port Angeles area released any balloons on the day of this sighting.